Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bed Rest

Bed rest officially started today! Yesterday was my last day of work until after Ryan arrives. 
I had a doctor's appointment Tuesday morning, January 3rd.  I was already put on modified bed rest, and was planning to wrap up work on January 12th.  God had something different in mind for me and baby Ryan.
At the doctor's office, my blood pressure was 155/95.  140/90 is the highest that my doctor is OK with.  I was asked to lay down on my left side and relax.  I started crying.... I knew that my blood pressure being up was out of my control, but I wished that I could just do something to fix it. 
The nurse came back in and took my blood pressure about 10 minutes later.  It had dropped significantly, to around 125/85. 
My doctor came in, and informed me that I needed to discontinue work and stay home in bed as soon as possible.  I'm a licensed professional counselor-intern working with children at a local Children's Advocacy Center.  I needed to close out with all of my clients, so I decided Thursday the 5th would be my last day of work.  My doctor approved, and sent me for a non-stress test to monitor Ryan's heart rate and movement. 
I'll be 37 weeks on January 26th, my doctor said that's the new goal as far as my due date goes, to give her as much time possible to develop while keeping an eye on my blood pressure. 
Today was my first day home on bed rest.  I'm blessed to have a loving, supportive family, friends and coworkers.  Everything looks good with Ryan, I have an ultrasound Monday afternoon.  My husband is taking great care of me, and I'm enjoying these last few weeks of relaxation before Ryan arrives and my world is turned upside down!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...